nuestros sitios

Menu

Historias De Viajes

What to Pack for your Colombian Adventure photo by Coolibar

What to Pack for your Colombian Adventure

por : Nicole Brown publicado :

Colombia has everything from coastal deserts and tropical islands to glaciated mountains and lush rainforests. You can get sun, snow and hail in the same day, not only in the mountains but also in some cities. So how do you know what to bring on your Colombian adventure? Don’t worry, we’ve got you sorted. The picks below will be perfect for Colombia’s unpredictable weather, diverse geography and even city travelling. The trick is to have your items work double or triple duty; read below to find out how.

Hiking boots photo by Preston Rhea (via Creative Commons)
Hiking boots

Waterproof Hiking Boots

When I first started travelling, I had this belief that as long as I had a pair of tennis shoes, then I was good and suited up for any terrain. Boy was I wrong. When it would rain, those trusty pennies would get waterlogged and the squishy gross sloshing of the water would make me a very unhappy camper. Needless to say, on my next adventure, I made sure that I purchased a pair of good waterproof hiking boots.

Bringing a pair of waterproof hiking boots also helps cut down on the shoe count in your suitcase. If you have these guys, you don’t need to bring your tennis shoes. This is because they are very comfortable and are great for city walking, trekking on mountain trails and snow in Los Nevados and El Cocuy , and through mud in the Amazon rainforest.

Coolibar offers lots of designs for UPF clothing; you’ll be sure to find something you love. photo by Coolibar
Coolibar offers lots of designs for UPF clothing; you’ll be sure to find something you love.

SPF Clothing

Sun protective clothing or UPF clothing is definitely a must when it comes to hardcore adventuring in Colombia. Why? It’s because this clothing protects you from sun as well as wicks sweat away from your body so that you don’t get waterlogged in your own sweat --- a must in sunny and humid areas of Colombia like the Caribbean coast and Colombian Amazon .

And with the many options on the market today like Coolibar and Patagonia, many of these pieces are versatile and transition well from city walking to Amazonian trekking to desert exploring. And when it comes to packing, we’re all a fan of packing less and having everything in our pack working double-duty.

Quick tip: try to get a pair of hiking pants that zip around the knees so when it gets hot, you can transform your pants into shorts for a more comfortable outdoor experience.

Raincoat

No need to get Joseph’s Multicoloured Coat or anything but since the weather in Colombia is unpredictable, it’s good to have a good rain jacket in your pack. It can rain on any given day anywhere in Colombia --- whether you are in the paramo, desert, beach or rainforest. It’s always good to be prepared with a completely waterproof raincoat that will keep you dry warm and comfortable so that you can continue your trek through the Colombian wilderness.

Quick tip: Even if you’re just trekking through the mountains, it can be sunny, rainy, windy and hot all in the same day depending on a variety of factors so it’s really hard to fully prepare for weather. That’s why it’s important to always have a rain jacket in your pack.

Buffs come in a variety of patterns and colors. This is the Heartfall Buff. photo by Buff
Buffs come in a variety of patterns and colors. This is the Heartfall Buff.

Buff

Aside from strong sunscreen, it’s always a good idea to also have a buff as an extra layer of protection from the sun. It also serves as a makeshift scarf for when it gets cold in the mountains as well as a mask for when it gets windy in the desert with all the dust blowing around. Confused about what a Buff is ? Just look at Instagram pictures of Burning Man burners. It’s essentially a piece of cloth that can be worn as a scarf or headband that will cover your neck as well as your ears and nose if needed to protect you from the elements. The Buff, with its many different uses, is the perfect item for Colombia’s diverse environments.

And with so many styles and options, they’ve even become a fashion statement over the years. For instance, mine is a sea foam green and indigo with a peacock pattern all over it; I figure, go big or go home with the design.

Quick tip: Buffs can be used as a hair accessory as well. They can become a stand-in ponytail holder, headband or head scarf. And if you soak it in water, it even becomes a cooling device. How neat!

Let’s go

Now that you’re outfitted with your gear, it’s time to put it to use! Reach out to your Uncharted Colombia

Volver a la lista de las historias

¡Hola !