nuestros sitios

Menu

Historias De Viajes

The Top Must-Do Things While in Medellin, Colombia photo by Hugo A. Quintero G. via Flickr

The Top Must-Do Things While in Medellin, Colombia

por : Nicole Brown publicado :

While travelling in Fiji, I was on a boat to see a waterfall when a fellow traveler leaned over to me and gave me some sage advice. She said, “You can either see a lot of a little or a little of a lot.” She, of course, was speaking about traveling the world. She and her bestie have made it a goal to visit as many countries as they possibly could spending a day or two in a variety of countries as opposed to spending a few weeks in one. After explaining this to me, she went on to ask me which school of thought I fell into and I couldn’t really give her an answer. I love travelling but I also like immersing myself in a culture and getting the “real” experience whenever possible.

Over the years, upon thinking about this question I’ve struck a balance between spending a few days in a country versus spending too much time in a country (when there’s so many others to see). My happy place is around 4-5 days. So if you’re like me and only book a few days for an exotic vacation, you really need to be choosy about what is a must-see and what is a nice-but-could-skip. Below, I’m helping you out with some definite not-to-miss things in Medellin so whether you’re visiting for a couple days or a month, these are the experiences that will truly make your vacation whole.

Coffee may very well taste better in Colombia, but we’ll let you decide. photo by Hacienda Venecia via Flickr
Coffee may very well taste better in Colombia, but we’ll let you decide.

Colombia and Coffee

Even if you’re not a coffee lover, when it comes to visiting Medellin, you’ve got to soak up the coffee scene – even better if you’re able to do a bean to table experience. Take a day trip from Medellin to a coffee farm in Fredonia where you’ll be able to learn about what goes into growing and processing coffee as well as what makes coffee beans taste different around the world. Everything from water to soil to temperature and climate can affect the taste of coffee beans as well as other things that you’ll learn about.

And if you’re a coffee lover, trekking through a coffee farm will be priceless. After your tour, enjoy a coffee tasting where you’ll taste a variety of coffees and test your palette to see if you can detect the nuances in different cups. Some coffees are more fruity, nutty or smooth amongst a plethora of other adjectives. And of course, as one of the world’s best coffee bean exporters, Fredonia’s coffees will not disappoint.

Get Colonial

After you’ve grabbed a few cups of impeccable Joe, it’s time to visit Santa fe de Antioquia. Just a little over 35 miles north of Medellin, this makes a great day trip or half-day trip if you’re short on time. Starting out as a gold mining town , as more minerals were found, beautiful colonial structures and churches would be built in the highest style of the times making this small town a definite must-see. And if you need even more of a reason to visit, this town was proclaimed a National Monument in 1960 due to the beautiful architecture. Once you’re done taking in history, make sure to also visit the famous bridge called the Puente Colgante de Occidente which spans over the second largest river in the country, Rio Cauca. This suspension bridge was built the same year as the Eiffel Tower in 1887 and, like Sante Fe de Antioquia, it also holds a National Monument title making it a symbol of the region.

Desfile de Silleteros (Flower Parade) photo by Rubi Florez via Flickr
Desfile de Silleteros (Flower Parade)

Find Out What Silletas Are

Survey says that if you’re a human then chances are you love (or at least like) flowers and plants. And that’s exactly what silletas are made out of so you’ll definitely want to learn more about them. What better way to learn about them than spending time with a family on a farm who builds these amazing flower arrangements?

Every August, Medellin has a Flower Parade or Desfile de Silleteros where people make and wear floral arrangements on their backs made from a plethora of different flowers and greenery placed in intricate, unique designs. They do this in hopes of winning a prized spot in the parade in which a panel judges who the winners are before the start. The worn works of art are a symbol of past slavery where slaves would be forced to carry their masters up steep hills on their backs. The parade celebrates the freedom through beautiful, stunning flower displays.

So what’s so cool about meeting a family who makes these silletas year-after-year? They’ll let you try your hand at making one or carrying one on your back. Hello selfies! And they are also considered a cultural national heritage so there’s that, too!

Let’s get those glutes goin’! The trek up to the top of El Peñón. photo by Hugo A. Quintero G. via Flickr
Let’s get those glutes goin’! The trek up to the top of El Peñón.

The Guatape Rock and Dam

El Peñón de Guatapé or better known as the Rock is a giant stone reaching up towards the sky that has fought off erosion overtime. It is believed that the rock has been able to stay after all the years since it does not have any fissures in it unlike the surrounding bedrock that has eroded.

In the old days, the indigenous Tahami people would worship the rock and today half-way up, there is a shrine of Virgin Mary. Today, visitors can hike up El Peñón and get a fantastic view of the El Peñól-Guatapé dam. When this dam was built, the original town of Guatape was flooded. The original town is still underwater buta replica was built on shore. Guatape’s colorful streets and houses make this quaint town a must-see.

The higher up the Guatape rock you hike, the better views of the town and the dam that you will get. During your trek up, make sure to look for the graffiti “G” and “U.” Story has it that the neighbouring towns of Guatape and El Peñól had a feud about who owned the dam. As a way to end the argument, a band of locals got together to go and paint “Guatape” on the rock but when the locals from El Peñól found out, they stopped the vandals after the first two letters. . The original “G” and “U” graffiti can still be seen today.

Medellin Here We Come!

So whether you believe in seeing a lot of a little or a little of a lot, one, if not all of these itineraries will be a great place to start – or finish – your Medellin adventure. Take the headache out of adventuring and reach out to the Uncharted Colombia team today to help with an all-in turnkey vacation package.

Volver a la lista de las historias

¡Hola !