our sites

Menu

Travel Stories

Bogsbrew veteran brewmaster talks Filipino craft beer scene

Bogsbrew veteran brewmaster talks Filipino craft beer scene

by : Nicole Brown posted :

If you enjoy your booze, you won't go thirsty on a tour in the Philippines. Beer is abundant and in recent years craft beer has become easily available.But before craft breweries started popping up in the Philippines on the regular, there was one brewer there from the very beginning, Felix Emilio Hagad of Bogsbrew Brewery in Negros Island.

We had the opportunity to learn about the early stages of the growing beer scene through his veteran brewer eyes via an e-mail interview. He talks with us about his delicious seasonal brews, hopes for the future of Filipino beer and how he personally helped usher in the craft beer movement.

Bogsbrew Primo Ale
Bogsbrew Primo Ale

Uncharted Earth: What inspired you to get started in the craft brew industry?

Felix: It started when one of my drinking buddies in college (UP Diliman) told me of his (failed) attempt at making beer. He ended up making his mom's kitchen smell like a chicken coop, but that was my light bulb moment: "Why not make my own beer?" This was back in the early 80s. Nothing happened after that as I had no way of knowing how to go about it (make beer). By the late 80s, I find myself visiting my GF (my wife now) in the US where she is taking her Masters course. One of her classmates was brewing beer and this again awakened my interest in beer. But again, this had to be shelved because, back home, I could not get hold of anything beer-related. Approximately 20 years later, before leaving for a trip to Singapore, I got in touch with a home brew supplier. I visited his shop, bought a starter kit, brought it home, and I finally started making my own beer. By the year 2007, I started making beer to sell to a few friends, and a few restaurants later.

UE: Why did you decide to name your brew house "Bogsbrew?"

Felix: Although my Christian name is "Felix Emilio," a paternal uncle gave me the nickname "Bugoy," which means toughie/homie in my native Ilonggo tongue. My classmates in UP didn't quite warm up to the name Bugoy, so they started calling me "Bogs" instead. It kind of stuck and I thought of using it as my brand name.

UE: What makes Bogsbrew different from other craft beers available in the Philippines?

Felix: A number of factors differentiate Bogsbrew from other Pinoy craft beers. Because I work out of Negros Island, I am within arm's reach of lots of sugar. I use this advantage to good effect. Since we are also an agricultural island, a lot of other ingredients are available.

In all my ten years of existence, I never for once envisioned Bogsbrew to be making a "standard" beer. There are many great-tasting "standard" or "iconic" styles of beer all over the world, but I confess I don't know how to make these. This is because these styles require specific ingredients which I find hard to source. I am also very patriotic, and I hope someday my beers will be known as "that great-tasting unique beer from Negros Island." Pretty lofty, but allow me to dream.

UE: Are there any special locally sourced ingredients that you use in your brews? If so, please explain.

Felix: Here's where I go to town. One of the special ingredients I use is sugar. Remember, my island is swimming in sugar. By using muscovado or raw sugar, a caramel-ish flavor as well as a deeper copper color is imparted to my beer. Another unusual ingredient is bamboo (bamboo shoot, to be precise). I know of only 2 other places on earth that use bamboo, China and Canada (a Fil-Am brewery). To this brew I add sweet potato (kamote).

UE: Where do you think the Filipino craft beer industry is going? Where would you like to see it go?

Felix: At the moment, Pinoy craft beer is on an S-curve. Right now, everybody (just figuratively) is into it. There were times in the past 2 years where not a week goes by without another craft beer brewer posting on Instagram. I have heard of people saying the Pinoy craft beer industry is the fastest growing in the Asian region. I would like to see it grow and let everybody duke it out so only the best and brightest remain. That would be beer Nirvana.

UE: Please describe the current Filipino craft beer industry in your own words.

Felix: I would love to see this industry grow. The Filipino has been hypnotized into thinking there should only be one beer brand. We have been made to love only one brew style. I say this is so wrong. Beer is one of the most enjoyable drinks in this earth because of the almost infinite variety; not only in flavor, but also in mouthfeel, aroma, appearance and overall umami, if there was one in beer.

UE: What are your best-sellers and how many seasonal brews (if any) do you introduce in a year? Can you please provide some examples?

Felix: I usually brew 3 variants: Negros Pale Ale (NPA) – a straightforward style, brewed to be overall drinkable any time or season. Its popularity is also pushed by the catchy acronym. Smooth, straw-colored, my friends always nudge me for a "short time session" with this beer. But we take all night.

Kawayan Ale – as the name suggests, it is made with bamboo shoot. To this is added sweet potato, red rice, brown sugar, other cereals, and secret hops. I might add lemongrass, ginger and chili leaves to this in the future, to mimic the crab, corn and coconut milk dish we traditionally cook in Negros Island.

Primo Ale – the name was adapted from the (colloquial) use of the word in Negros. Relatives and close friends, even next-door neighbors greet each other with "Primo!" or "Prima!" to express heartfelt friendships. Originally a seasonal brew made to coincide with the Masskara festival of Bacolod in October, it is now brewed year-round. A pumpkin ale made with fine malts and a healthy helping of KALABASA, and made doubly, triply festive with lots of cinnamon and nutmeg, this beer just can't wait for Thanksgiving.

UE: How is Bogsbrew helping usher in the craft beer movement in the Philippines? (Do you have festivals, local tastings, store front etc.) Do you have any plans to go international?

Felix: Bogsbrew has been instrumental in bringing craft beer to the Philippines. Back then, craft beer wasn't even in the Pinoy vocabulary. Whenever I told people I make craft beer, they'd give me a blank stare and say: "Uh, DRAFT beer?" There were only a handful of us back then, and the going was rough. No equipment and ingredients were available. Malt? Hops? Yeast? The backbone of making beer, and these were nonexistent in our country. But we just kept at it, and now, there are I heard more than 30 independent craft beer brewers. But more needs to be done. The gospel of great Pinoy craft beer must be preached and pastored, and savored.

UE: Where can tourists get a hold of your brews?

Felix: In Manila, it's sold in CaB Gelato (East Capitol Drive, Pasig MM). In Bacolod, you can go to Cafe Bob's Deli and Bypass restos, both in Lacson Street, and in Fresh Start in SM City Bacolod, and the Ruins Cafe and Museum Cafe.

Want to taste one of Felix's one-of-a-kind recipes? Be sure to visit one of his vendors in Manila or Bacolod and pick up a few packs to bring home after one of Uncharted Philippines' tours that start from Manila.

Back to stories list

Hello !